Installing the Dometic HP
first it was off with the old. To do this I had to remove the 4 screws that hold the air duct cover off. then remove the 4 1/2" bolts holding the AC unit in place. I thought that would be all that was holding it on. boy was I wrong. Once on top I removed the shroud.
There were actually about 40 screws holding it on from the top about half came out the other half had to be ground off. leaving 40 holes in my roof ( more on this later).
A few straps to lift off the old one
I cheated a little on the next part and had my dad lift it off with his back hoe.
Now for the 40 holes I decided to leave the screws that I ground off in place and used some Poly sealant over them the ones that came out. I put poly on a pop rivet and then poly over the installed rivet. I think this will seal I cover all the roof rivets with poly anyway and replace the poly every few years just to help keep things dry
Next we used the back hoe to lift the new one up into place it was difficult to find a place to put the straps that they would not damage the new unit.
up it went onto the roof once centered over the hole and the shroud back on the rest is done from inside.
Inside had some issues there is an aluminum rib at the front of the hole witch supports the AC well but the back of the hole is another matter the closest rib to the back of the hole is about 10 inches away so there is no support for the back the unit.
I tried a metal brace at first but decided to make a wooden rib it seems to work well.
Now I need to figure out the wiring.
Monday, April 18, 2016
I have been polishing like crazy I started with F7 polish but had to drop back to F9 as I was having to work to hard with the F7 the photo below is what F9 Swirl marks look like.
I have the camper almost completely done with f9
Thursday, March 3, 2016
Where does the time go? Well I have been working on other things like divorce finding a new girlfriend and other stuff. I have been wanting to work on the exterior of the trailer since I got it so thanks to a good tax return season I was finally able to afford the stripper (not that kind of stripper) and polish. (My dad thought I said I got a Polish stripper for my camper and he was keen to help till I corrected him.)
To apply it I used a medium sized paint brush and a paint roller on a pole. You apply it nice and thick let it sit for an hour then wash it off with a pressure washer. As you can see from the picture I would work on one section while waiting for another section to sit. I was able to strip half the trailer in one afternoon. The stripper definetly works best in the sunlight on the back of the trailer where it is in heavy shade it did not work nearly as well so I think I will have to turn the trailer to do the other side.
So this is the one side stripped. It already looks more even but I couldn't resist trying to polish a little bit.
so this is one pass with F7
this is with a second pass of F7 already looking amazing...... now I just need some good weather and some time off.